Playing Mas is kind of a traditional thing to the Toronto Caribbean community! You get all different cultures coming together to celebrate in very over the top costumes. Some put together well.. Others not so much.
What people don’t realize that the costume doesn’t stop at purchasing at the mas camp, You gotta do some searching girl!
Yes it’s a one time event but to get the most out of your day and your costume put a little bit of yourself into it!
For Example: This year I’m wearing a Bollywood inspired costume so I’ll be getting henna done (Toronto Revellers).
But there’s still so much you can do to make you stand out from the crowd!
- Workout (Caribana is a workout in itself but you get my drift)
- Fishnets! Find a good pair of stockings that go with your costume. Some people are uncomfortable showing so much skin and stockings are a great way to cover up without COMPLETELY covering up. Or you can just wear them for the added style.
- Shoes. Shoes. Shoes. You may not want to purchase a new pair of shoes which is completely understandable. You can rejuvenate an old pair of sandals, sneakers, pumps, by spray painting them. The added plus side to this is that you have already broken in shoes that are comfortable for the road! (If rejuvenation is not an option I suggest buying a pair of Toms (p.$55) these shoes are so comfortable and you can wear them well past jump up day!)
- Make-up! Do somethings to stand out! There are so many ways for you to stand out by just make-up alone. If you’re getting you’re make-up done professionally make sure to bring a long a couple pictures of the look you’re going for. If Professional makeup is just out of the budget completely youtube can be a great source for make-up tips. Make sure not to leave this part to the last minute… recreating a make-up tutorial is hard enough when you don’t have the same make-up palette. (Here’s some make-up artist’s youtube channels to help start you off on your search. ONE TWO THERE happy hunting!)
BEFORE I FORGET or you Forget rather
Things you should remember for carnival day
- Deodorant (self explanatory)
- Body spray
- Back up shoes (Usually for the end of the road. E.G. Flip flops)
- Rag (Expect the sweat)
- Flag (Rep your country girl)
And the countdown really begins!
9 months ago | This post has 9 notes